Ecommerce design and usability factors have an extraordinary impact on the success or failure of a webpage. Optimizing your ecommerce site according to best usability and design standards is a must for all entrepreneurs thinking of jumping on the bandwagon with an online business. Here are a few tips and guidelines on ecommerce usability and design.
Perfect Design in ecommerce:
Ecommerce design is not all about fancy eye-catching colours, layouts; Instead it should be something that shows your visitors how professional and high quality your services/product are/is. If your visitors don’t understand what you sell and cannot figure out how to use your page to find out then they wont spend anything. It is also highly important to develop and design your ecommerce site focusing on SEO factors because more searches means more sales which mean more earnings. Some other key factors to keep in mind are:
- Categorise products
- Use easier navigation system
- Recommend related products
- Use breadcrumbs
- Provide internal searching facility
- Test cross browser compatibility
Usability Practices that Build Trust:
Trust plays a vital role in ecommerce. If visitors don’t find your site to be a trust worthy legit site, then you will never be able to generate profit through ecommerce. Use the usability practices that help establishing trust in market and have already been through trial and error:
- Provide your real and available contact info
- Use logos, Trustmark’s and security badges of your payment methods in your shopping cart to make them more trust worthy.
- Disclose all hidden costs; return ability issues, security issues, shipping costs and others.
Best Usability Practices in Checkout:
Checkout process affects the actual number of sales in ecommerce. If you can make the checkout process simple and quick to use then visitors will more be more likely to buy from your site. Sometimes complexity and confusion in this process create barriers for customers. So, always try to adopt the best checkout process practices such as:
- Let them purchase without registration
- Show a confirmation page before they submit the order
- Break up the checkout process into number of easily understood steps
- Show order details with each and every cost associated with it
- Show easily visible and understood checkout button and shopping cart
- Don’t ask for unnecessary information
Ecommerce Design Factors – Layout Trends:
You must make an appropriate layout for your ecommerce site. The trendy ecommerce layouts have content, rich and longer homepages with fixed headers. Another big issue is responsiveness. Now we are seeing more and more visitors using mobile devices and tabs to access ecommerce sites. So, make sure that your site is responsive in nature so that anyone can get the actual layout of your site using whatever device they have. Some other factors that are an absolute must for the current trend are:
- Larger visual elements
- Social media badges
- Product comparison section (if needed)
- Promo products section
Well, there are lots of them. But you must keep an eye on the market as with everything in the world evolution is prominent online. Here comes the issue of flexibility in design and usability. Make sure when doing changes that your ecommerce design is easy enough to readjust effectively at any time. Also keep continuity on the standard of usability of your ecommerce site. This will ensure that customers you already have will not be startled by changes and it is still a comfortable way for your visitors to surf your page.
Get to know more of GetMediaWise services http://www.getmediawise.com/